St Mary's and St Peter's Episcopal Church, Montrose

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 71730 57770, map


Address

Panmure Place
Montrose
Angus
DD10 8HD
Scotland

Introduction

This A-listed cruciform plan church sits on the corner of Panmure Street, Provost Scott Road and St. Peter's Road, and is set within a churchyard with stone boundary walls. The church has a tower on the south side and a porch was added in 1937. The church was built by John Henderson in 1858 with an extension by Alexander Ross added in 1878. H D Tarbooth added the 20th century porch. The current church was built on the site of an earlier church, called St Peter's. It was built in 1724 and burned down in 1857. The new church united with the local St Mary's Church to become St Mary's and St Peter's.


Description (exterior)

The church consists of a large entrance porch, nave, transepts, chancel, side chapel, sacristy and vestry. The church was built with large sandstone blocks, tooled and coursed. There are simple ashlar surrounds and hoodmoulds. The various roofs are all slated.

 

The west end of the church has a large single-storey and gabled porch, with a hoodmoulded pointed-arch doorway. The later porch was built with high quality ashlar masonry. The west gable of the nave has a single, large pointed-arch window with intricate tracery and stained glass.

 

The north elevation has a large, gabletted pointed-arch nave window. The stained glass and tracery is protected (and hidden) by perspex sheeting. Alongside, and attached to the north transept, is a small gabled extension with a pointed arch door and small window. The north transept gable has a pair of tall windows, while the single-storey extensions built to the east of the transept and around the chancel have small rectangular windows and hipped roofs. 

 

The chancel gable at the east end of the church has two pointed-arch windows with tracery and stained glass, and there is a large rose window above. Protective perspex sheets cover the windows and mask most of the finer details.

 

The south elevation is dominated by the buttressed tower with octagonal stone and slate spire. The tower is built from ashlar sandstone and has large pointed-arch windows with thick tracery. There are pairs of smaller lancet windows above. At the belfry stage the tower becomes octagonal and supports a narrower octagonal spire. Attached to the chancel and transept, at the east end of the church, is a tall, gabled side chapel, which extends further out than the south transept. It has small pointed-arch windows arranged in pairs. The south transept gable has pointed-arch windows and there is a gabletted pointed-arch nave window to the west of the tower.


Description (interior)

The large interior has a nave, chancel, sacristy, vestry and side chapel. The nave has dark wooden pews, which also occupy the narrow transept areas. There is a small area at the rear for a display and general meeting area. The north transept also houses the organ pipes and a small finely carved side altar. The pulpit stands at the chancel arch at the junction of the nave and chancel. There are many fine stained glass windows, including one to St Paladins and St Columbia (in memory of John Lyell) in the south wall and "Lights of St Andrew" in the north wall. There are many memorials and wall hangings hung on the walls of the nave. The walls themselves are plastered and painted and the floor is covered in blue carpet (with matching blue cusions on the pews).

 

The chancel at the east end of the church features fine carved oak choir stalls (donated by a Miss Scott in 1927) and a richly carved pulpit (1866 by D Woodward). They eye is drawn to the richely detailed altar area, which is raised up by steps. There is a fine white stone reredos with arched niches and carved figures, which flank a raised, arched central section with painted and gilded triptych.  The chancel also has a panel vaulted ceiling with decorative mouldings and emblems. There is high quality stained glass behind and above the altar and in the lancet windows of the chancel, which depict saints, apostles and gospel writers.

 

The Lady Chapel or side chapel is attached to the chancel on the south side and is a simple room with pews, stained glass lancet windows and a marble and gilded timber altar.

JD


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
John HendersonArchitect1858
Alexander RossArchitect, extended church1878
H D TarboothBuilt porch20th century

Events:

  • Original church built on site (1724)
  • Church burnt down (1857)
  • Church rebuilt (1858)
  • Church extended (1878)
  • Porch added (1927)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NO75NW 190
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4529
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 38204A-listed