Clova Parish Kirk, Glen Clova

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 32690 72990, map


Address

Glen Cova
Angus
DD8 4RA
Scotland

Introduction

This small former parish church is located at the southern limits of the small village of Clova in the heart of Glen Clova. The church was built in 1855 on the site of an earlier church dedicated to St Mary and dating to the early 18th century. The parish of Clova united with Cortachy in 1608 so an even earlier church may have existed here.

Clova Church was built with a mixture of stone types. The principal (west and south) elevations are built with roughly-squared Aberdeen-bonded granite with rubble stone used on the other elevations. There are ashlar sandstone dressings and quoins (corner stones).

The church is no longer a parish church but was bought by the community in 2006 and opened as a community church, carrying out eccumenical services and weddings.

JD 2011

 


Description (exterior)

The west gable of the church has a small ashlar-built birdcage bellcote mounted on the gablehead. The skews of the gable are slightly stepped. A later timber-clad porch is centrally placed against the gable. It has a small rectangular window and a door in the south face.

 

The south elevation has four symmetrically-placed rectangular windows with latticed glazing, which reach just below the wallhead. The east gable of the church has a single rectangular window with latticed, coloured glazing. A small stone finial is mounted on the apex of the gable. The north elevation is featureless.

JD 2011


Description (interior)

The interior is fairly simple with numbered wooden pews arranged either side of a central aisle. At the east end is a raised sanctuary area, which has a communion table, minister's chairs, granite font and electric organ and keyboard. The interior has a wood-pannelled dado. The stained glass at the east end depicts a spring lamb holding a flag.

JD 2011


Events:

  • Church built (1855)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 4788C(S)-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO37SW 3
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4540

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Angus or Forfarshire; The Land and People, Descriptive and HistoricalA J Warden1880-5Vol. 3, p109-111
The Object Name Book of The Ordnance SurveyOrdnance Survey1862Book 15, p53