Dunnichen Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50950 48780, map


Address

Dunnichen
Angus
DD8 2NX
Scotland

Introduction

Dunnichen Parish Church was built in 1802 and is located within a graveyard just to the west of the village of Letham. It consists of a nave with projecting porch and vestry built on to the west. The church was built with coursed rubble and has slated roofs.


Description (exterior)

The west gable has a small pointed-arch window with a louvred vent high up. There is a small two-stage bellcote on the apex, which is topped by a ball finial. attached to the gable is a small, single-storey porch and vestry, with a chimney at its west gable. It has small rectangular windows and door.

 

The south elevation has four large pointed-arch (lancet) windows with quarry panes of glass. The east gable has the same window and vent as found in the west, but there is a rectangular door at ground floor level with a pointed-arch window above. There are no features on the dark north elevation, except for a tall brick chimney attached at the north-west corner, next to a small door that gives access to a boiler room.

JD 2011


Description (interior)

The interior of the church is arranged around the pulpit and sanctuary area, which is centrally positioned against the south wall. The original wooden pews face the pulpit and there is a horse-shoe gallery on three sides, again facing the pulpit. The galleries are supported on cast iron columns, which still retain their original metal candle holders. A small area at the south-east corner has had the pews removed and is now a children's play area, with games, toys and seating. There is a small, single storey vestry and vestibule area attached to the west end of the church.

 

The wooden pulpit is simply decorated and highly polished. It has a fabric pulpit fall, locally made. Carpeted steps give access to the pulpit. The communion table in front is of a lighter wood and not contemporary with the pulpit. It is highly decorated with intricately-carved vines and grapes. There are two wooden lecterns, one standing on the communion table and a larger free-standing one nearby. They have finely-turned legs and supports. A small organ and a piano are contained within a small area to the east of the pulpit. There are numerous memorials mounted on the walls around the church.

 

The church is due to be sold at the time of writing (May 2011) when this church unites with nearby Letham Parish Church. It is not clear what will happen to all of the furnishing but the four wall hangings, made by the congregation, will be transfered to Letham Parish Church.

JD 2011


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1802)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 4618B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO54NW 42
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4543

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churchesG Hay1957p170
New Statistical Account of Scotland1845Vol. XI, p153