Tay Square Mission Buildings, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39890 30040, map


Address

Artillary Lane
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Tay Square United Free (1900)
  • Tay Square United Presbyterians (1847)

Introduction

This former church has an east-west orientation in what is now a built-up area of the city centre. Although there is a lane on either side the entrance is completely enclosed by a narrow high gate and a wall separating it from adjacent commercial premises. Only partial views of the other sides are possible due to shrubbery, the adjoining halls and a brick wall to its north. K.Nichols


Description

There are three halls adjacent along their length and these are attached to the church itself. On the northern side it is a plain hall with two porches attached. The only indication of its former use is a stone tablet above the door that reads 'Tay Square U.P Church Mission Buildings 1861.' The style of the main entrance and chimney pots is domestic whereas the halls resemble industrial work zones. However, the main entrance door exhibits the only sign of elaborate decoration. With a square moulded lintel and metal hinges this brightly painted door indicates a former grandour. Alongside the similarly crafted window has been narrowed by the addition of the hall. These features also show evidence to suggest that restoration works took place before the building was abandoned.

This congregation was officially known as the Third United Secession Congregation Dundee. These people had previously used the Caledonian Hall but moved here in 1834 at a cost of £2,300. A contemporary description noted the bright interior and that the pews were neat, comfortable and well appointed. The 'gracefully proportioned pillars' and 'designed and decorated organ' were all set off by the 'abundance of light'. K. Nichols


Events:

  • Mission church: Build/construction (1834 uncertified)
  • Mission church: Alteration/conversion (1861)