Falkland Old Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 22260 07950, map


Address

Kilgour Old Burial Ground
Falkland
Fife
KY15 7AE
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Kilgour Church (1100)

Introduction

The earliest known church at Falkland was known as Kilgour and was situated north west of the town. It was a possession of the Priory of St. Andrews and was rebuilt in 1431 by the Prior of St. Andrews after the church had been destroyed by fire (in 1425). The 15th century building was replaced by a new church in Falkland in the early sixteenth century (see Falkland Parish Church). The old burial ground at Kilgour  was likely still used for internments after the church was closed in 1595. The site was returned to farmland in the 1820s. Licker stanes, resting places for coffins, are known to have existed at Pillars of Hercules on the way to Kilgour. The remains of the old church survived until 1825, at which point its foundations were dug up and reused.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Priory of St AndrewsBenefactorC1318In 1318, the church and its lands were given to the Priory of St. Andrews.
Pre-reformation Church of ScotlandDenomination11-1565
Church of ScotlandDenomination1565-1595The earliest session records date to 1565.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1100)
    The church was probably built in the twelfth century.
  • Church: Custodial Transfer (1318)
    In 1318, the church and its lands were given to the Priory of St Andrews.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1425)
    The church was destroyed by fire.
  • Church: Build/construction (1431)
    The church was rebuilt.
  • Church: Abandonment (1595)
    The church went out of use after it was replaced by a building in the centre of Falkland.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1825)
    The last traces of the fabric were removed from the site.
  • Burial ground: Abandonment (c1820)
    The site was returned to farmland.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 29868
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4583

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
http://www.genuki.org.uk/Genuki2006Online parish information See Church History section under Falkland Records.