St John's Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 11390 87510, map


Address

Dunfermline
Fife
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Chapel well

Introduction

A chapel with an associated manse, well and glebe once stood in the area south of Garvock Hill.   St. John's Chapel is recorded in deeds as early as 1390 but no specific date for the construction of the building could be found.    It was still in use after the Reformation, as a Sir John Grant is recorded as being chaplain at this time.   It is unclear when it went out of use, but it is not marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1856.    It was possibly a private chapel, for use of the proprietor of Garvock and those on the estate.    There are no visible remains of it,  and a modern housing development now covers the site.


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (1390B)
    The chapel is mentioned in land deeds of this date.
  • Chapel: Destruction/demolition (1856B)
    The chapel is not marked on the 1st edition 1 inch OS map of Dunfermline.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 50847
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4612

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Scottish Burgh Survey: Historic Dunfermline, Archaeology and DevelopmentDennison, E.P;Stronach, S.2007p. 26
Historical and Statistical Account of DunfermlineRev. P. Chalmers1844p. 158