Buckhaven Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 35850 98050, map


Address

Church Street
Buckhaven
Fife
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Buckhaven and Wemyss Parish Church (2008)
  • St. David's Church (1902)
    Was known as St. David's Church until 1972, when the congregations of St. Andrew's (site no. 4638) and St. Michael's Churches (site no. 10481) united with St. David's to form the Buckhaven Parish Church.

Introduction

Buckhaven and Wemyss Parish Church was built between 1899 and 1902. It is at the junction of Church Street and Randolph Street at the west end of Methil. The main road to Kirkcaldy (A 944) rounds the corner from Wellesley Road into Randolph Cresecent just outside the church. The district is partly residential, partly commercial.  Surrounding the church to the south and east are low stone walls. It was built in the Gothic style, and was dedicated to St David. Immediately alongside is the former Free Church of St Andrews. St Michael's Church (see separate entry) was built in 1901 as an overflow church but in 1972 St David's, St Andrews and St Michael's formed a union under the name of Buckhaven Parish Church, and since then, after  a further union in September 2008 with Wemyss , it has been known as Buckhaven and Wemyss Parish Church.


Description (exterior)

The church is a large structure, built of sandstone blocks and with a slate roof. There are seven tall lancet windows and four butresses on the north and south elevations, an octagonal bellcote projecting from the east gable, and a small extension at the west end. The main entrance is on the east gable, through a double timber door set within a pointed-arch with decorative tracery and glass fan light above. There is a large pointed-arch, four lancet window in the east gable above the doorway below the bellcote.   The west gable is partly obscured by the single storey extension, but above it is a window of three pointed arch lights. To the north there is a small grassy  area, in which the stone font from St Michael's stands.  


Description (interior)

The interior has now been divided by a floor inserted at gallery level. The furnishings are all of carved wood with pews to match. The sanctuary at the west end also houses the organ which is encased in matching wood panelling. There is some clear glass, but also a stained glass window by Marjorie Kemp depicting the Crucifixion.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandOwner1899-NOW

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1899 to 1902)
  • Hall: Addition (1960)
    The low extension from the western end of the original hall was added.
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1980)
    The Buckhaven Parish Church Agency refurbished and altered the interior of the church in the 1980s. This included the insertion of a floor at gallery level.
  • Hall: Addition (1980)
    The hall was extended again.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 46068
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 224299
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8074

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 106