Former United Presbyterian Church (now a school hall)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 23850 11980, map


Address

Auchtermuchty Primary School Hall
Backdykes
Auchtermuchty
Fife
KY14 7AB
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Auchtermuchty Gothic Hall (now0)
  • Auchtermuchty Primary School Hall (now0)

Introduction

This church currently serves as a hall for the local primary school. It was built between 1849 and 1850 in the grounds of the school next to Back Dykes, which leads up a slope from Burnside's shops and houses.    It was built on the site of the old Anti-Burgher Church (site  10669). The Anti-Burgher Church had become United Presbyterian in 1847 and in 1850 the building was demolished and this church was built on the site.


Description

The building is rectangular, constructed of red sandstone rubble with a southern frontage of coursed sandstone and a slate roof. The quoins, door and window margins are of ashlar and it has a slate roof.

It is a rectangular building, with five tall lancet windows on the east and west sides. The south gable stands high above the roof.

The eastern face of the church is pierced by five lancets with ashlar margins, each of which  has a white latticed grille protecting the clear glass.

The gable ended south elevation faces onto Back Dykes. The frontage is elevated above the line of the roof behind.   It is held by angle buttresses on its eastern and western edges, both of which are topped with simple pinnacles. The face is divided by a projecting string course below  three lancets with hoodmoulds.   Below the string course is an arched door with hoodmould. The gable is crowned by a wheel-headed cross.

The west elevation is largely obscured by school buildings. The heads of two lancets with latticed panes are visible, suggesting a similar arrangement to the east elevation. This face has been harled, though the margins of the windows are sandstone.

The north elevation is harled and is without adornment.

 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
United PresbyteriansDenomination1850-1900
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1910The congregation was dissolved in 1910.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1850)
  • Church: Union (1900)
    The church became the charge of the United Free Church.
  • Church: Abandonment (1910)
    Falling congregations result in the sale of the church and manse.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Records of Auchtermuchty North (Antiburgher) United Presbyterian Church, United Free - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH3/603
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4646

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 77