United Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 23990 11730, map


Address

Burnside
Auchtermuchty
Fife
KY14 7AJ
Scotland

Also known as:

  • United Free Church (1929)
  • South United Presbyterian Church (1873)
    This was the name the church became known as at this time, when it united with the West United Free Church (site number: 10490).
  • Burgher Church (1845)
    Original name.
  • Burnside Church
    Local name for the church.
  • United Presbyterian Church
  • United Associate Chapel
    This is the name given to the church in Gifford's book, p. 77.

Introduction

This church, which was originally built as a Burgher Church, faces west onto Burnside and is sited on raised ground behind a crenellated wall. The building is in a poor state of repair. Its last recorded use was as a workshop and part of the building may still be used as such.


Description

The church was built on a 'T' plan with north an south transepts towards the east end, and a small porch to the west.   It consists of a single cell of red sandstone rubble with a southern frontage of coursed sandstone and a slate roof. The quoins, door and window margins are of ashlar.
It is tall and rectangular, with five lancet windows on the east and west sides. The eastern face of the church also has five lancets with ashlar margins and latticed grilles protecting the clear glass.

The south gable faces onto Back Dykes and the frontage is elevated above the line of the roof behind.   It is held by angle buttresses on its eastern and western edges, both of which are topped with simple pinnacles.   The face is divided by a projecting string course below three lancets with hoodmoulds.   Below the string course is an arched door also with hoodmould. The gable is crowned by a wheel-headed cross.

The west elevation is largely obscured by school buildings. The heads of two lancets with latticed panes are visible, suggesting a similar arrangement to the east elevation. This face has been harled, though the margins of the windows are sandstone.

The north elevation is harled and is without adornment.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Burgher ChurchDenomination1845
United Free ChurchDenomination1929

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1845)
    Built as a Burger church
  • Church: New Denomination (1850 uncertified)
    Possible date when the church became United Free.
  • Church: Union (1923)
    Union of the Free Church and United Presbyterian Church, the church becomes Auchtermuchty South United Free Church.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 21443
Records of Auchtermuchty South United Presbyterian Church, United Free St Stephen's - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH3/602
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 96396

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 77
Noted as "United Associate Chapel" in Gifford's book.