Crail Priory Walls

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 61630 00790, map


Address

Nethergate
Crail
Fife
KY10 3SP
Scotland

Introduction

There are fragmentary remains of an enclosure wall and a ruined gable on Nethergate, Crail, which probably date to the sixteenth century, known as The Priory Walls.    This may be the remains of a building, possibly a chapel, which was formerly under the patronage of the Prioress of Haddington.




Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Cistercian Nunnery at HaddingtonBenefactor1500C

Events:

  • Monument: Build/construction (1500c)
  • Monument: Destruction/demolition (1801)
    RCHAMS Canmore database makes reference to the destruction of this site by the sea in 1801.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4673
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 70951
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 23447
CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - HardcopyReference: 4673Research by Helen Armitage.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Medieval Religious Houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of ManEasson, D. A.1957p. 103
History of the County of Fife from the Earliest Period to the Present TimeLeighton, J. M.1840p. 92
The New Statistical Account of Scotland - Fife-Kinross1845By Ministers of the Respective Parishes p. 964