Chapel of St Margaret

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 08980 87310, map


Address

Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7NE
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St Margaret’s Shrine
  • St Margaret’s Tomb

Introduction

After the death of Queen Margaret in 1093 and her subsequent canonization in 1251, a chapel was built at the east of the original chancel of Dunfermline Abbey (which she had founded) in the 14th century to house her and her husband's remains. The bodies of the Queen and her husband, Malcolm Canmore, were moved from their original resting place in the Abbey to the new chapel after it was completed. In 1368 two large granite stone slabs were brought from England, at considerable expense, to be used as part of the memorial. The chapel was designated as a shrine and visited by pilgrims throughout the medieval period. The remains of the chapel are located at the eastern end of Dunfermline Abbey and the New Abbey Parish Church buildings, enclosed by iron railings and accessible through a gate. The remains of the shrine walls have been incorporated into more recent stonework adjacent to the chancel (east) end of the New Abbey Parish Church.

All that remains of St Margaret's Chapel are the substantial lower stone courses and foundations. They are well over a metre wide, showing that the chapel was a well-built and large building when completed. The interior walls were decorated with carved stone columns, the footings of which survive.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
St Margaretdedicatee
Pope Innocent IVcanonized Margaret; promoted shrine

Events:

  • Margaret reburied at this site (1250)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-025-662-CImage copyright: Edwina Proudfoot
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 108575
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4678