Falkland Parish Church (present)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 25230 07430, map


Address

High Street
Falkland
Fife
KY15 7BU
Scotland

Introduction

This church was built in 1850 on the site of two previous buildings (sites 10552, 10553). The first church was erected in 1595 after Falkland received its royal charter. It was replaced in 1620 but the building was said to be in poor condition by the 1840s, necessitating its demolition. The present church was built between 1848 and 1850, and consists of a four bay main cell and a three stage tower. The church is built on rising ground in the centre of the village and faces south onto the High Street.


Description (exterior)

The church is built from coursed stugged ashlar and has a Scottish slate roof. A projecting ledge runs under the windows and across the buttresses.

The north elevation has three lancets with stained glass.      There is a door under a shouldered arch with a glazed head which is framed by two circular lights and three shouldered arched windows with latticed panes.      The gable ended east porch is entered through an arched recessed door under a hoodmould with foliate stops.   The north and south elevations are without adornment and have projecting sills which are situated towards the bottom of the wall.

The tower is on the south elevation, flanked on either side by lancet windows with latticed glass and hoodmoulds.   The tower itself consists of three stages, topped by a spire, and is supported by angle buttresses.    In the first stage is an arched door, above which are three pointed windows with latticed panes.    The central opening is covered by a memorial to Tyndall Bruce, who paid for the church to be built.    In the second stage is a single light latticed window, and in the third stage is a curvilinear window with latticed glass.   On the west, the lower stage of the tower is covered by a stairtower with two single lights in shouldered arches. The stage above this is blank. The east and west elevations are identical to the north in the upper stage of the tower. The third stage of the tower is fringed with a cornice of dentils on all sides.    Above this is a stone spire with gablets on every other face. There are pinnacles on each of corner of the tower.


Description (interior)

The three stained glass windows on the north elevation are by A. Ballantine and Gardiner, dated 1897, and depict the Nativity, the Resurrection and the Ascension of Christ.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Mr Oneisiphorus Tyndall BruceBenefactor1848barrister. Paid for the building of Falkland Parish Church.
Mr David BryceArchitect1848-1850
Church of ScotlandDenomination1848-NOW

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1848 to 1850)
    The architect was David Bryce. Church built at a cost of £7000. This cost was fully covered by Oneisiphorus Tyndall Bruce.
  • Tower: Build/construction (1848 to 1850)
  • Porch: Build/construction (1848 to 1850)
  • Church: Opening (1850)
    Church opened on 26th May 1850.
  • Church: Addition (1897)
    Stained glass by A. Ballantine and Gardiner

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 31254
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 99317
Falkland Parish Church, Minutes, 1840-1853 - HardcopyReference: CH2/428/11
Scran - Online databaseReference: 4697
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4697

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A Falkland GuideThe Falkland Society1988