Burgher Kirk

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50690 16560, map


Address

141 South Street
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9EQ
Scotland

Introduction

This building was used as a Burgher Kirk from 1774 until 1826.    The building dates from the early eighteenth century. It was renovated in 1964 and part of the building is now used for commercial purposes.


Description (exterior)

This is a three-storey building with a red pantiled roof and an outside stair. The walls have ochre-coloured harling and there are sandstone dressings around the windows and door.   A porch has masonic emblems. The first Burgher Kirk in St Andrews was in Imrie's Close and later moved to this site. They left this Burgher Kirk to move to their newly built church in Hope Park.


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Burgher ChurchDenomination1774-1826

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1700se)
  • Church: Opening (1774)
    Church opened.
  • Church: Renovation (1964)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4719
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 40640

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 402.