St Andrew's Former Episcopal Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50890 16380, map


Address

Queens Terrace
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9TQ
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Church of St Andrew

Introduction

An Episcopal Church dedicated to St Andrew was built  at the western end of North Street by R. Rowand Anderson between 1867-69. Unusually, the building still exists but is no longer in this location, or indeed town. It was taken apart stone by stone and carefully rebuilt in Buckhaven in the south of Fife.

It is a large and imposing structure built in pointed rubble. It is cruciform in plan, with nave, side aisles and transepts. However, the transepts do not extend beyond the aisles. The piend-roofed south transept had a tower incorporated into it in 1892, which was taken down in 1938. The church and halls sit in garden grounds in a quiet residential area, close to the town centre.


Description (exterior)

The church is built in pointed rubble and is cruciform in plan, with nave, side aisles and transepts. However, the transepts do not extend beyond the aisles. The south transept had a tower incorporated into it in 1892, which was taken down in 1938/9.

The east gable features three slender windows  beneath a rose window (perhaps based on that in the west front of Dunblane Cathedral).   The side aisles are buttressed and there is a large south-west porch.   The roof of the church is steeply-pitched and continuous and has red ridge tiles to add some colour to the dominant slate.


Description (interior)

Much is made of the roof, which is waggon-shaped with trusses and collars. 

The nave has an arcade to divide off north and south aisles and there is also a chancel arch. There are various stained glass windows, dating between 1870 and 1964.    A portion of the north aisle has been screened to provide choir vestry accommodation.    The church is entered by a door from the east side of a large vestibule which has a hall to the west as part of the complex, and other facilities to the north.  

Some original features survive, including a reredos, lectern and pulpit.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Sir Robert Rowand AndersonArchitect1867-1869
Episcopal ChurchDenomination1869-NOW
Saint AndrewDedicatee1869-NOWSt Andrew's day is on 30th November. He is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia and Greece and is also the patron saint of fishermen. The Saltire (national flag of Scotland) is so called because of the x-shaped cross that appears on it, which represents the cross that Saint Andrew was crucified on.
Hall and HenryArchitect1893Addition of hall.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1867 to 1869)
  • Church: Opening (1869)
  • Church: Consecration (1869)
  • Stained Glass: Installed (1870 to 1964)
    The stained glass windows which are in the church at present were installed between 1870-1964.
  • Church: Consecration (1877)
    Re-consecrated.
  • Church: Addition (1892)
    Addition of tower.
  • Church: Addition (1893)
    Addition of hall.
  • Hall: Build/construction (1893)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1932)
  • Church: Addition (1938)
    Church hall built.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1938/3 to 1939/4)
    Tower demolished.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 93148
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 40845
Miscellaneous notes relating to St Andrews Episcopal Church, St AndrewsReference: GB 254 MS 219
Records of St Andrew's Episcopal Church, St Andrews - HardcopyReference: GB 227 msdep47
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4723

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
St Andrews:City by the Northern SeaLamont-Brown, R.2006Page:165-171
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988Page: 383