All Saints Episcopal Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51200 16810, map


Address

North Castle Street
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9BQ
Scotland

Introduction

The present All Saints Episcopal Church is at the corner of North Street and North Castle Street.      To the north lies St Andrews castle, and the ruins of the cathedral are visible from the south east corner of the complex.    Fronting North Street is the rectory, by Reginald Fairlie (1937-8), built in a Scots 17th century style.   This has since been converted into a shop and coffee house, associated with the church.   The main approach is through a gateway into a small courtyard on the east side.   An earlier episcopal chapel on north street was sold to a free church congregation in Buckhaven, and episcopalians in St Andrews worshipped in the new church of St Andrews in Queen's Terrace consecrated in 1869 (site no. 4723).   There was not enough room in the new church and a temporary iron church supplied in 1903 by Spiers of Glasgow was erected on the present site to serve as a msssion to the fishing community.    A fund in memory of a notable episcopalian, T.T.Oliphant provided the means to build a stone chancel onto the iron church which then constituted a nave.    This was consecrated in 1907.   The chancel and bell tower were built between 1906 and 1909 by John Douglas of Chester.    After the first world war, the whole complex was completed and endowed in 1921 thanks to a major benefaction from Mrs. Annie Younger as a memorial to her son and daughter in law.    Paul Waterhouse  designed and built the crowstepped tower with pyramid roof, and an aisled nave with broad buttresses and transepts.    The buildings also included  church halls for guides, and women's and men's clubs,   Part of the complex is the rubble-built Wynd House, constructed in the 17th century and added to in 1921.   The benefaction also furnished much of the interior.


Description (exterior)

The general style is Scottish vernacular with a hint of Italian.    

The complex is built of sandstone;   terracotta tiles are used for most of the roof but slate is used for the roof of the tower and the chancel.   The tower is at the north-east corner of the church.   Entrance to the church.is by a Doric colonnade which connects the church to the hall.


Description (interior)

The interior of the church features a two-bay chancel that is built six steps above the nave.    Carved wooden choir stalls and stalls for the clergy line the chancel.

There are two chancel arches, one of 1906-9 and another of 1919-24.    

On either side of the nave, there are north and south aisles, divided from it by arcades.  On the west of the nave is an apsidal baptistry and on the west end of the south elevation of the nave there is a transept.   The baptistry is separated from the nave by an archway with a wrought-iron screen in front and four green marble pillars supporting its entrance.  The walls are lined with marble and in its centre is a marble font (made by Farmer & Brindley), with a gilded wooden cover.   High on the west wall of the baptistry is a small stained glass window.

At the east end of the south transept there is a small antechapel with chairs for seats leading to the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament which is divided from the transept by an archway with ornately carved wooden doors.    Access to the chapel is through a wrought iron screen.    The Chapel walls are of marble, as is the altar which is approached by steps.    There is a stained glass window on the south elevation.   A sanctuary light hangs above the altar and behind it there are carved painted wooden figures. At either side of the altar there are stone  kneeling angels on tall marble bases.

The church is furnished with wooden chairs.    At the northeast of the nave is a polygonal  pulpit with a canopy, installed in 1924.

To the south of the nave is a carved  stone statue by Hew Lorimer.

Above the chancel steps there is a hanging rood by Nathaniel Hitch featuring Christ on the cross with a sunburst behind, and the figures of St Mary and St  John on either side of him.

There are a number of stained glass windows, dating from 1913 (Louis Davis), and  1923 (Douglas Strachan), and 1958.

The hall is to the north of the church and is reached through the colonnaded entrance.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Episcopal ChurchDenomination1909-NOW
John DouglasArchitect1906-1909
Paul WaterhouseArchitect1919-1924Addition to church.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1906 to 1909)
  • Stained Glass: Installed (1913 to 1958)
    The stained glass that is in the church at present dates from 1913 to 1958.
  • Church: Addition (1919 to 1924)
    Addition of hall,porch, nave, aisle, tower and transept.
  • Aisle: Build/construction (1919 to 1924)
  • Nave: Build/construction (1919 to 1924)
  • Chapel: Build/construction (1919 to 1924)
    Built by Paul Waterhouse.
  • Transept: Build/construction (1921)
    The transept was built amongst other additions to the church by Paul Waterhouse.
  • Porch: Build/construction (1921)
    Built at the same time as the hall.
  • Hall: Build/construction (1921)
    Built by Paul Waterhouse during a series of additions to the church.
  • Baptistry: Build/construction (1924)
  • Baptistry: Installed (1924)
    Wrought iron screen installed.
  • Furnishing: Installed (1924)
    Installation of pulpit and of hanging rood.
  • Tower: Build/construction (1924)
  • Church: Addition (1937 to 1938)
    Castle Wynd House, which was originally built in 17th Century, was incorporated into the structure of the church.
  • Nave: Installed (1942)
    Addition of a statue,set to south of nave, by Hew Lorimer.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 40861
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4724
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 136738
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 252807
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 252808
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4724

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
St Andrews:City by the Northern SeaLamont-Brown, R.2006p 165-171
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p 378-379