Ardrossan Church of the Nazarene

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 23190 42500, map


Address

150 Glasgow Street
Ardrossan
Ayrshire
KA22 8EU
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Park Parish Church (1929)
  • Ardrossan Park United Free Church (1900)
  • Ardrossan United Presbyterian Church (1857)

Introduction

The church started as a United Presbyterian Church (Ardrossan UP Church) in 1857 to the design of Thomas Wallace. It is in Tudor Gothic style and is a simple hall/church orientated to the road in essentially east west. The rear hall was erected in red sandstone at the rear of the church in 1874/75. It is orientated east/west. In 1900 following the union with the Free Church of Scotland the church was renamed Ardrossan Park United Free Church and in 1929 following the union with the Church of Scotland it was renamed Ardrossan Park Church. In 1959 the congregation moved to the new church at Stanley Road and the building was sold to the Church of the Nazarene.


Description (exterior)

The west gable is in three bays separated by pilasters rising to a battlemented pediment entrance is set back from the carriageway. The pilasters have octagonal pinnacles with onion caps. The doorway is in simple rounded style with the top section in plain (radiating) glass panels. The windows are tall simple rounded style and leaded in a twin lancet pattern. In the centre at the top is a date stone crest (1857). At some point the masonry has been pebble-dashed and the dressings rendered. This continues round the sides and rear. On the sides the windows are tall round-topped with squared panes finishing twin lancet top panes. The two windows on the rear gable have been blocked up. A low pebble-dashed building connects to the red sandstone hall. Renovation work was carried out on the exterior in 2009.


Description (interior)

The interior was renovated in 2009 and a new heating system installed one year later.

 

I Holland 2017


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
United Presbyterian ChurchDenomination1857
Park United Free ChurchDenomination1900
Park Parish ChurchDenomination1929
Church of the NazareneDenominationpost 1959
Thomas WallaceArchitect1857

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1857)
    Manse built 1866
  • Church: Addition (1874 to 187)
    School added to rear of church5. When schools taken over by local school boards then it was converted to a hall
  • United with Free Church of Scotland (1900)
  • United with the Church of Scotland (1929)
  • Manse replaced (1942)
    New manse purchased
  • Taken over by Church of the Nazarene (1959)
  • Church: Renovations (2009)
  • New heating installed (2010)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Screen Archive - Online databaseReference: 5243
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: View Canmore Report Online: 205152
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: LB21325Listed C(S)
Church of the NazareneReference: www.nazarene-ardrossan.co.ukChurch History

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Ayrshire & Arran - An Illustrated Architectural GuideRob Close1992Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland
Ayrshire - Third Statistical Account of ScotlandStrawhorn & Boyd1951Oliver & Boyd
Ardrossan Burgh 150th Anniversary1996North Ayr Museum
Buildings of Scotland - Ayrshire and ArranRob Close & Anne Riches2012Yale University Press
History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church - 1733 to 1900 Vol 2 (Reprint 2014)Robert Small1904Ulan Press
The Fasti of the United Free Church of Scotland 1900-1929John Alexander Lamb (Ed)1956Oliver & Boyd
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae - 1929 -1954 - Vol IXJohn Alexander Lamb1954Oliver & Boyd
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae - 1955 -1975 - Vol XDonald Farquhar Macleod Macdonald1976St Andrew's Press