Inveravon Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 18280 37570, map


AB37 9BA


The site of Inveravon Parish Church has a lengthy ecclesiastical history, with a church building thought to have stood here since at least the 12th century. The predecessor to the current church was built in the late 16th century and parts of its fabric were incorporated into the later building, erected in 1808. The church sits at the northern edge of a fairly large, sub-rectangular graveyard and is aligned east-west. The church and large accompanying manse lie in a secluded, wooded valley bottom, reached by a narrow country lane. A large renovation programme was under way when visited in 2012, which meant that much of the exterior was hidden by scaffolding and plastic sheeting. 

A very fine group of four Pictish symbol stones have been found in the graveyard at various times. Most were uncovered when the old church was demolished - the stones had been used in the foundations. They were originally mounted against the south wall of the later church but have recently been moved into the church's north porch with lighting and display boards in order to give them more protection. 

Description (exterior)

The latest church built on this site, built at the start of the 19th century, is a fairly small, simple building, rectangular on plan and aligned east-west. It was built in rubble and harled, with fine dressed granite and sandstone used for the window and door surrounds as well as the bellcote and north porch. The double-pitch roof is slated and was recently renovated. 


The south elevation of the church has four large, equally-sized and spaced round-arch windows. They have simple Y-tracery and different sized and shaped panes of leaded glass. The east gable has the principal entrance into the church. There is a pointed-arch doorway to the centre with double wooden doors and a lattice-glazed fanlight above. In the gablehead is a fairly large round rose window with stone tracery and small panes of glass. The west gable has a similar round window in the gablehead and there is also a large bellcote on the apex, with rectangular uprights, a shallow-arched opening and a tall stone finial. A single-storey vestry was added to the west gable in the 19th century. The north elevation of the church has a round-arch window at the east end and a gabled porch was added towards the west end in the 1870s. This has fine granite stonework and the pointed-arch doorway has a hoodmould above. The porch also has small corner buttresses and a stone finial. It no longer provides access to the church - it has been converted into a display area for the Pictish stones mentioned in the introduction. 

Description (interior)

The interior of Inveravon Parish Church is relatively simple and restrained. The sanctuary area is at the west end and there is a gallery at the east end with a vestibule area below. There are plain wooden pews in the nave with a wide central passageway. The sanctuary is riased up from the nave by a step and there is a simple, wooden communion table, lectern and font. A short, octagonal pulpit is placed in the south-west corner of the church. A small pipe organ is located at the opposite (north-west) corner. Behind the central communion table is a large wooden screen and a tall curtain, on which is a gold coloured cross. 

People / Organisations:

A Marshall MackenzieArchitect1876Additions and alterations


  • Church built (1808)
  • Additions and alterations (1876)
  • Major repair and renovation work carried out (2012)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 588
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 8488
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ13NE 7
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 16010

Bibliographic References:

The Statistical Account of ScotlandSir J Sinclair (ed)1791-9Vol. XII, p27-8
The New Statistical Account of Scotland1836Vol. XIII, p140
Invera'an; A Strathspey ParishH Dunnet1919p58
Churches of MorayA J Howat and M Seton1981p29-30
Exploring Scotland's Heritage: GrampianIan Shepherd1986p126
The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Pictish symbol stones: a handlistRCAHMS1994p13