St Margaret's Episcopal Church, Ancrum Road, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 38170 31240, map


Address

Ancrum Road
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Introduction

Situated on a main road this cruciform-plan building was constructed in 1888. It has a wide junction in front and housing to either side. Low walls with railings surround the boundary paths. There are several features that combine to make this Scandinavian-style building unusual both externally and internally. K. Nichols


Description (exterior)

This cruciform plan church to seat 400 was built by the Rev. East Sugden in 1888 and comprises a rectangular hall at the front, the main church building, a square tower at the west and three angled constructions to the rear, each one of which has a door. A distinctive overhang protects a bell. The sloping slate roof has a break for the clerestory, the windows of which have white metal frames. Some windows have internal wooden imitations so that a uniform look is achieved. The stone is quarry tooled and bare at the northerly aspects but the main walls are harled. There is a ramp attached to the east of the main wall. The north extension has an infilled door on its northeast side and a coloured glass window. The design shows three circles linked as a cross. Other windows are plain, either square or round-headed, and most are boarded with wooden panels. K. Nichols

The nave has a dark stained timber roof structure and a stained glass clerestory. The nave was meant to extend towards Ancrum Road, but a rather plain hall was built there instead, in 1921.


Description (interior)

The interior features a wrought-iron chancel screen made in Belgium, a delicate traceried sedilia, a hidden reredos painting, and an Italian angel font thought to be a copy of a font made by Danish artist Bertel Thorvaldsen in Copenhagen Cathedral. The Baroque carved pulpit is considered to be an antique. The organ was relocated from a nearby church that closed for worship. The church has toilets and disabled access.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1888)
    Rev. E, Sugden