St Mary Magdalene's Church, Constitution Road, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39900 30650, map


Address

Constitution Road / Dudhope Crescent
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This Episcopal church was built in 1867 by Charles Edward and T. South Robertson on a corner site. It is an impressive structure, Gothic revival in style with a prominent fleche. The church features an aisle and the slated roof is surmounted by a thin, decorated spire. The sides of the church feature two storeys of paired arch-top windows. It was originally constructed for the Catholic Apostolics and was aquired by the Episcopalians in 1952, who relocated from Blinshall Street. The interior of the church features a rich interior, including stone carving, crafted timber church furniture, various stained glass windows (mostly derived from neighbouring closed churches) and a scissor-braced roof with stencilling. Church halls were added to the site some time after the construction of the church.

The church was reputed to have cost £5000 and the opening service on 13/2/1952 was conducted by the Bishop of Edinburgh, Right Rev. Kenneth Warner.

K. Nichols, J Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1867)
    People: Edward & Robertson, Dundee
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1952)
  • Church: Restoration (1979)
    to stained glass and stonework