St Salvador's Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40250 31300, map


Address

St Salvador's Street
Hilltown
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This city church was built between 1865 and 1875 by G. F. Bodley. It was one of numerous so-called city mission churches, built for the active Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes. The relatively simple, plain building has two roofed naves or halls, joined in the middle by a lower roof. Pointed arch traceried windows (rose) are located in the side and gable walls and a small lean-to porch is located under one of the gables. Smaller rectangular windows are present in parts of the lower walls. The tall roofs are slated. Bodley's churches, and this one included, have often been likened to a jewel casket. The interior is rich and colourful, with turquoise and green, reds and yellows. There are stencilled wall decorations and an open roof. The church has disabled access and toilet facilities.

J Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1865 to 1875)
    People: G.f.bodley