St. Michael and All Angels

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 48430 00050, map


Address

Rotten Row
Elie
Fife
KY9 1AY
Scotland

Introduction

This church was first erected in 1905 near the sixth tee on the golf course at Craigforth.   It was moved to its present position on Rotten Row in 1924-5, where it sits back from the road in a small plot of ground (St Gabriel's Bield), surrounded by residential buildings.    It is a prefabricated 'tin church', supplied by Spiers of Glasgow.  The church was partially destroyed by fire in 1953 and reopened for worship in October 1954.    It is rectangular, orientated north-south.    Entry is by a porch on the south, reached by a ramp for the disabled, and there is a vestry on the east of the chancel and a back door on the north gable end.   Access to the church from Rotten Row is through memorial gates past a shrub border, and there is also access on the north side from the path which runs alongside the eighteenth fairway of the golf course.   In 2012 it was given Grade C Listed Status.


Description (exterior)

The exterior of the church is corrugated iron, with four wood frame windows on the east and west sides;   they are of clear and some frosted glass.  The chancel of the church, which is at the north end of the building, has a high coloured glass window.    The vestry on the north-east corner of the building has slim triangular headed windows on the north and east walls. 

The porch is built on to the south gable end.   It has a clear glass window on its south side.    There is an octagonal window above the porch with clear panes, above which is a cross, which covers the apex of the gable.  The window and cross were notable features of the original building.


The east elevation is inaccessible due to the proximity of adjacent housing, but it mirrors the west elevation.

The southern end of the west elevation has four windows with frosted glass and flat triangular heads. There is a harled stack and boiler house to the north of this. 

The north elevation (which is the church chancel) has a triangular headed window with frosted glass under the apex of the gable. Under a catslide roof to the east is a vestry which has a slim triangular headed window in its north wall.




Description (interior)

The interior is finished with painted tongue and groove boarding,  and the triangular roof is supported by ironwork, also painted.      Entry from the vestibule is by double doors leading to a nave and a chancel which is raised by one step at the north and east, above which a beam bears the words 'In this place will I give peace'.   In the chancel are an altar, a credence table, two prayer desks, two large bronzed candlesticks, fixed to the floor, and two wooden chairs carved by Robert Lorimer.    A stone World War I memorial, carved by Hew Lorimer, is on its west wall.  Curtains separate the chancel from the vestry to the north east.    A stone font is inside the door on the south-west corner of the church.    The nave is furnished with chairs.    To the north-east of the nave there is a wooden pulpit, and to the south-east there is a fine chamber organ.     A memorial to the founders of the church, also carved by Hew Lorimer, is on the south wall immediately inside the door.    The vestry has been divided into two to provide storage cupboards and a sink with water supply.    Renovations in 1991  improved the vestibule and provided toilet facilities and running water.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Scottish EpiscopalDenomination1905-NOW
Speirs & CoArchitect1905Speirs & Co was an architectural firm. They were responsible for St. Mary and St. Leonard Church (6089) in Kinghorn and St. Michael and All Angels Church (6084) in Elie. Architectural firm Speirs & Co were responsible for the design of this church.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1905)
    The church was erected near the sixth tee on the golf course at Craigforth.
  • Porch: Build/construction (1905)
  • Church: Build/construction (1923)
    The church was moved and rebuilt on Rotten Row.
  • Porch: Build/construction (1923)
  • Fire (November 1953)
    The church was badly damaged by a fire which destroyed the organ and other furnishings, but not the main structure.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 187427
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M022701
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6084

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Heritage and HopeStuart G.Hall2005This book celebrates the centenary of St Michael's in 2005, which coincided with the bicentenary of its sister-church, St John the Evanglist, in Pittenweem, also celebrated in the book.