St. Finnian's

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 17940 92940, map


Address

Lumphinnans Road
Lochgelly
Fife
KY5 9AT
Scotland

Introduction

St. Finnian's Church is set on an elevated position above the road, set within its own precinct and with a tarmac area to the rear (north). It is a drydashed building which has cement dressings and a slate roof. The church was constructed in 1937-8 by the architects Smart, Stewart & Mitchell.


Description

St. Finnian

Construction materials: Drydash - Walls; Slate - Roof; Cement - Dressings. ;

This church is rectangular,with a porch at the west of the south elevation, and a transept at the east of the south elevation, both with crowsteps on the gables. It is a drydashed building with cement dressings and a slate roof. The walls are supported by buttresses, situated between the windows.
There are a number of stained glass windows; of those the three-light eastern window and the single light window in the vestry are by stained glass artist Margaret Chilton (Gifford). All the windows have been covered by metal gratings, and rust has now formed underneath them.
The interior was not visited, but published information indicates that the small west apse has been created from what was previously a baptistery and a hall has been created out of the two west bays of the nave.
The church is linked to the manse at the north west .
(ED, EP April 2008)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Scottish EpiscopalDenomination1938-NOW
Smart, Stewart & MitchellArchitect1937-1938David Smart, Donald Alexander Stewart and Robert Matthew Mitchell owned the architect practice "Smart, Stewart & Mitchell" which ran from 1924 until after 1949. They were responsible for St. Finnian's Episcopal church in Lochgelly (site no: 6109)

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1937 to 1938)
    This building was constructed by architect firm Smart, Stewart & Mitchell.
  • Church: Installed (1949)
    In the Lady Chapel, now turned into the vestry, a second window was inserted by Margaret Chilton.
  • Church: Installed (1950)
    East window of stained glass by Margaret Chilton. Three lights. Theme: Christ the High priest.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M002133
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M023057

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 314