St Aiden's Church, Broughty Ferry

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 46550 30780, map


Address

408 Brook Street
Broughty Ferry
Dundee
Angus
DD5 2EB
Scotland

Introduction

St Aiden's Church in Broughty Ferry was built by James Black in 1826, principally to serve the needs of visiting people in the summer who flocked from Dundee to the beach here at Broughty Ferry.

St Aidan's has recently been sold and is undergoing refurbishment.  There is a small brick building where it appears some services are held at the moment.  It was originally known as Broughty Ferry Parish Church but its name was officially changed to St Aidan's in 1929. 


Description (exterior)

The church is situated on Brook Street, Broughty Ferry, with the front elevation looking North and with burial grounds to the East.  It is a Gothic style rectangular building designed  in 1824 and built in 1826 to seat 800.  It is built in rubble and ashlar with a square tower and slated spire on the West side.   There were two later stages of construction.  The tower and spire were completed by Charles Edward architect in 1858 with 4 clock faces and a space for a bell incorporated.  A vestry and south bay were added at the same time.  Finally in 1875 an organ bay was added.  The entrance consists of  a three bayed porch with a double-leafed door set in a Gothic arch with a celtic cross finial and flanked by small two-light windows.   The celtic cross finial is repeated above a small rose window in the wallhead gable.    There is a large arched window on either side of the porch.  The original windows were fitted with stained glass windows in 1893. 


Description (interior)

Although it is no longer possible to see the interior, it is described in Ian McCraw's Friends of Dundee City Archives No 3 "The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery 1558 - 1999"  as being almost square with a semi-octagonal gallery. 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
James Black, DundeeArchitect of church1824-6

Events:

  • Church built (1826)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6116
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO43SE 134

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Friends of Dundee City Archives No 3 "The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery 1558 - 1999"Ian McCraw