Dundee St Peter & St Paul's RC Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39600 61650, map


Address

Byron Street
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

Although on a roadside the church is set back within its own courtyard. On a corner plot, it consists of several extensions with a link to the previous manse. It has a north-south orientation with the front entrance reached by either three steps or a disability ramp. The low boundary wall that is on two sides has railings and the two entrance gates are facing south.

K. Nichols


Description (exterior)

This Roman Catholic church was designed by Reginald Fairlie in 1929 and is reminiscent of the Arts & Crafts style. Composed of red brick, the structure is relatively simple with a decorated gable. The facade features a pedimented entrance door that bears the inscription 'Deo in Honorum SS App Petri et Pauli, 1929'. This is topped by a brick infilled pediment, a diamond blocked window, three light recessed Norman arched window and a statue niche. Behind is a simple hall-like nave. The west gable consists of 7 bays with 3 in the extension. All windows are Norman in style.

J Dowling


Description (interior)

The interior features more red brick, broken up by white columns. There is an unusual apse, created to provide atmosphere to the interior, a design that is a trademark of Fairlie.

J Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1928)
    People: Reginald Fairlie