Dundee Miss-Rosebank Pa-Full Gospel-R AoG Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39889 31012, map


Constitution Street

Also known as:

  • Full Gospel Church


This town church in Dundee's Constitution Road was built in 1871 by T S Robertson and opened as a mission church before becoming a parish church four years later.  It was sold to the Full Gospel Church in 1965 and joined Assemblies of God in 1998. It is a Gothic structure and consists of an aisled nave and square tower. The interior was divided into a meeting room and hall by the insertion of a floor at gallery level.

JD 2011

Description (exterior)

The frontage of the church, facing Constitution Road, consists of the gable end of the nave and the slightly set-back tower. The tall gable has three pointed-arch (lancet) windows, the central one being taller. They have simple hoodmoulds, which join a stingcourse on the gable. Above is a round window with quatrefoil tracery; again it links to a stringcourse. A finial on the apex has broken off. To either side of the gable are small gabled porches with lancet windows and fleur de lis finials. The side aisle has a pair of small lancet windows.


The square north-west tower has three stages, divided by small stringcourses. There are pairs of lancet and cusped windows and the third stage has pairs of large pointed-arch belfry openings. The top of the tower has a castellated parapet, from which rises a pyramidal spire with fish-scale arranged slates.


The side elevations of the church (the side aisles) are harled and have lancet windows spaced along the length. Above, in the nave roof are unusual, slated dormer windows, which give additional light to the interior.

JD and L Elder, 2011

Description (interior)

The interior of the church has had significant alterations carried out to it. The most notable is a new floor, inserted at gallery level. This was to create a lower hall which is used for community activities. The upper storey created is now used for worship.  It is still possible to see the architectural features of the interior  as the new floor has been built around the existing pillars and fittings.  The original interior consisted of a Gothic arcaded nave with galleried side aisles. The impressive collar-braced roof structure is still visible. The organ at the South end of the building is the original and is said to be the largest built in any church in Scotland.


The worship space on the first storey retains the pointed-arch arcades and original gallery pews. The original nave pews were removed and movable seating is now in place. The organ pipes now form a backdrop to the worship space. Downstairs, in the community hall, most architectural features survive. This includes trefoil-headed wooden panelling or blind arcading and pointed-arch wooden doors.

JD and L Elder, 2011

People / Organisations:

T S RobertsonArchitect, designed the church1871


  • Church built (1871)
  • Became a parish church (1875)
  • Sold to the Gospel Church (1965)

Archive References:

Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 25157B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO33SE 241
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6122