St Theresa's Roman Catholic Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40440 32260, map


Address

Graham Street
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This former Roman Catholic Church was built in 1940 and refurbished in the 1950s. It closed as a church in 2005 and is currently redundant (2010). It is set close to buildings on its South side but has an open area of grass on its North side and is surrounded by metal railings.


Description

The church is a fairly plain rectangular building in polychrome brick with a stone architrave around the entrance door and a stone cross finial on the apex of the front gable. The brick is generally laid in a Flemish bond pattern with ornamental brick work over the windows and the door.  The ornamental pattern above the door is composed of a triangular framework divided into diamond shaped segments filled with brick laid at 45 degree angles. Above each of the large rectangular windows in the North and South sides of the church is an arc of bricks above a stone pediment, in-filled with vertically laid bricks.  The windows in the sides of the  building are dormered and, along with the small arched windows at the front and in the porch, are composed of small diamond-shaped stained glass panes. 


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1940)
  • Church refurbished (1955)
  • Church closed (2005)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6129Leona Elder Archive