Lochee UP-UF-West Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 37726 31805, map


Address

191 High Street Lochee
Dundee
DD2 3HQ
Scotland

Introduction

This neo-Gothic sandstone building is situated on a corner site next to Lochee's High Street.  There is a main ring road skirting the western edge of this church's property.

K. Nichols

This church was built as a United Presbyterian Church in 1869-1871. A manse was built about the same time. A hall was added in 1882. In 1900 came the union with the Free Church of Scotland - West United Free Church. Next came the union with the Church of Scotland in 1929 when it became Lochlee West Parish church. The building was renovated and re-decorated in 1956-1961 and the grounds landscaped. An appeal was required to raise money to carry out urgent work on the spire. In 2006 it united with Lochlee Old Church and the West Church was retained as Lochlee Parish Church.


Description (exterior)

This site was originally a turnpike and obtained money by renting the site and two houses from the Cox Brothers at the rate of £35 annually. The building, accomodating 1000 people, was started in October 1869 with the official opening on 24 September 1871. This church was developed and expanded from the subscriptions raised by the congregation and the generosity of various members of the Cox family. It was lit by gas until 1910 when electricity was installed.

The front facade has a buttressed gable. The entrance porch is buttressed with a hooded doorway. This has a fanlight and alabaster columns. On each side of the door is a slit window with ashlar dressings. The window above has geometric tracery and five lights that are separated by stone mullions. A decorative round stone is above and a corbel descends from the balconied roof ridge. There is evidence of a repair line running through the stonework. An octagonal chancel, with east facing door, is to the east of this elevation.

 

The nave has five buttressed bays with Gothic style windows on both sides of the building. Three are plain and set within the face, whereas two extend into the roof space. These narrow windows have horizontal and vertical stone mullions, light tracery work and are pointed. To the north are several smaller stone buildings, set at right angles to each other, that are currently utilised as points of service. At the northeast corner is a smaller brick construction with large board over a window. 

 

A striking feature of the church is its tall, slender 3-stage Gothic tower and spire. The hooded doorway is on the west face. Particularly noticeable are the buttresses set back from the corner and the traceried windows on all faces of the third stage. There are double lights on the ground floor and above the door. The north and south faces have lancet windows at the second stage. The spire above this has tall, thin belfry openings. It then tapers to a point and is surmounted by a weather vane.

As the boundary wall was bulging this was rebuilt at the cost of £200 inthe early to mid 20th century. During the mid 20th century, the grounds were attended to where trees were cleared, and a lawn laid with a rose garden of remembrance. Then the driveway was tarmaced.

K. Nichols


Description (interior)

The 8 bell carillon cost £70 to install. The Cox Brothers donated one bell in 1872. The mural at the main door and the restored window are memorials to Rev David Marshall. Other memorials are to the dead of both World Wars and the 1916 communion table is to Rev HD Morton. The wheel window above the organ was courtesy of William Cox. In the 1950s a five year programme saw restoration of pews, woodwork, the heating system and the stonework was dressed and repointed.

K Nichols


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Mr James MacLarenArchitect1870-1871
Robert LaingMasonMason

Events:

  • Church built (1869 to 1871)
    People: James Mclaren
  • Church: Addition (1880 uncertified)
    Sunday School hall built in Nicoll\'s Lane courtesy of William Cox. Opened 22 May 1883. K. Nichols 10/08
  • Church: Addition (1880s)
    Manse. Site courtesy of J Cox. Cost £2280 and had more than 12 rooms. This was divided into 2 flats in 1948 where the lower flat was sold and the upper remained as the manse.
  • Church: Installed (1890)
    Organ courtesy of Cox family. Required that the north wall be dismantled and the organ casing intruded the classroom beyond.
  • Church: Addition (1956)
    £400 costs to build a cloakroom and kitchen at rear of hall.
  • Church: Repair (1956)
    internal decoration and the organ serviced. costs £700.
  • Church: Addition (1963)
    new Hall from the former half-time school that doubled as WWI hospital.
  • Tower: Renovation (1970 uncertified)
    renovation of spire
  • Union with Lochlee Old Church (2006)

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A century of worship and serviceHS YoungLochee West P.C (1871-91)