St David's High Kirk

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39500 31280, map


Address

Kinghorne Road
Dundee
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • High (1929)
  • High UF (1900)
  • High Free (1875)

Introduction

This Gothic church is located on the slopes of Dundee Law and is further heightened by being raised above street level. A flight of steps,walled and railed, leads to the front door. The front faces south over the city. A rising pathway to the east of the building is gated both top and bottom. Auxiliary buildings and a car park are attached at the north of the church. When first built it was close to the mouth of Scotland's first railway tunnel.

The congregation's previous meeting place was within an altered Hill St. shop' bought for the purpose of converting to a meeting hall.

K. Nichols

 


Description

The church is constructed from snecked rubble and has ashlar bands. It comprises an aisle, square east tower and western chancel. The doorway pediment contains two angels holding bibles.

The main entrance to the church is sited on the south face of this pinnacled square tower. The doorway is a pedimented porch with short columns set on half-length bases. The pediment is topped with a stone Celtic cross.

 

The hall immediately adjacent to its north has an east-west orientation with its main entrance at the east. The strip and round windows are typical of the period. In 1885 the addition of transepts allowed seating for 800. The two side galleries were added in 1928.

K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1877)
    People: James Ireland
  • Tower: Build/construction (1881)
  • Church: Addition (1885)
    extension gallery
  • Church: Addition (1887)
    transepts
  • Church: Installed (1904 uncertified)
    font and organ

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery 1558-1999Ian McCraw200038