St Andrew's Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40440 30690, map


Address

2 King Street
Dundee
DD1 2JB
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Trades Kirk
    construction

Introduction

St. Andrews stands back on rising ground. Its front garden is landscaped and leads to the junction of the Cowgate. It is enclosed on all other sides by walls of varying height and the Glasite chapel to its east. However, clear views are obtained from a raised path to its north. Researched and written by K. Nichols 06/08


Description

St Andrew's Parish Church, Dundee

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Inaugurated 1772 with completion of the sandstone building two years later to a design by Samuel Bell. Also known as the Trades Kirk, it was built as a symbol of the growing wealth of the Nine Trades in the city and retains that atmosphere within the banners, chairs and stained glass windows. It is in a prominent position, with gardens to the front and the historic 'Kail Kirk' (site 6136) to its side - a Glasite kirk, built 1777 and now used as a church hall. St. Andrews is a large rectangle, possibly harled after completion, and its design may derive from James Craig, designer of Edinburgh's New Town. Fine stone dressings are set against the rubble-built core, with twin Venetian and semi-circular arched windows. The church has disabled access, welcomers, children's activities, brochures, toliets and refreshments. Researched and compiled by J. Dowling, 10/03 and 10/04 and K. Nichols 10/08

Burial ground

 

Nave

 

Steeple


The impressive 139ft steeple progressively reduces in size and has a number of bells.

Carved stone

 

Stained Glass

 


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1772)
    People: S Bell/j Craig