Glasite Chapel, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40480 30680, map


Address

4 King Street
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Kail Kirk

Introduction

This octagonal building was originally sited close to St. Andrews Church. There is a limited amount of landscaping and car parking around it.  An extension has been added to its north face and this has been harled and painted white to match the original structure.

K. Nichols


Description

This Glasite chapel was built in 1777 as a simple white-harled octagon with stone dressings and a prismatic slate roof. It is not known who the architect was. There are two tiers of small round-arched windows, two on each side of the octagon. Each of these windows has three pronounced keystones and are now blocked. There is a monument to the 18th century minister, the Revd John Glas, who seceded to form his own sect. The chapel developed a nickname of the Kail Kirk, owing to the practise of offering cabbage soup to people attending the services. The interior of the church was gutted in recent times to convert the chapel into St Andrew's Church Hall. It remains in very good condition.

J. Dowling,  K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1777)