St Paul's Church, Meadowside, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40130 30010, map


Address

112, 114, 118, Nethergate
Dundee
DD1 4EH
Scotland

Introduction

This stone-built church is situated at the end of a long row of tenements with its western edge circled by the Marketgait ring road. It has a north-soouth orientation. The adjoining brick buildings that are linked to the original church represent different building periods and have varying functions; bookshop, cafe and halls.

K. Nichols


Description

Built by Charles Wilson in 1850-2, this substantial Gothic revival church, with a tall, broached spire was built to replace the old Mariner's Church in Reform St. It is comprised of many components but the main entrance is on the north face. This door is in the tower and from the north it appears that the church is composed of only the tower. A large hall complex was built in 1988 by M. J. Rodgers, and is used for regular meetings of the Presbytery of Dundee. It also provides storage for the Presbytery Resources Centre. There is also a church garden, which features a decorative wall built by David Wilson, that skirts the modern ring road. The galleried interior features oak panelling, a hammer-beam roof and outstanding stained glass windows, some by Jones and Willis and by Alexander Russell. There are doorway mosaics by Elizabeth McFall. The church and centre have disabled access, brochures and souvenirs, toilets and a coffee shop.

K Nichols, J Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1850 to 1852)
    People: Charles Wilson