North Church, Monifieth

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 47240 34290, map


Address

Monifieth
Dundee
Angus
DD5 3NZ
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Hillock Church

Introduction

This rural former parish church is situated around 2.5km north-west of Monifieth, a large suburb of Dundee. It lies alongside a small country road within a walled enclosure. The large former manse and its outbuildings stands alongside. The church was a Free Church and closed in the 1960s after the congregation united with a neighbouring one. It was converted into two houses in the 1990s.


Description (exterior)

The church is a simple rectangular structure with a small porch and extention. It has roughly-coursed sandstone rubble walls with ashlar window and door surrounds. The roof is slate and has had numerous new windows inserted to provide more light to the interior. 

 

The west gable was the principle elevation of the church. It has a small central porch with a gable and slate roof. This porch has doors with chamfered margins on the north and south sides. The gable of the porch has a round panel with the date '1846'. The gable of the church has two round-arched windows, one on either side of the porch, and there is another round-arched window in the gablehead. On the apex of the gable is a large birdcage-type bellcote, which is corbelled out from the skew. The opposite east gable is similar to the west but has a single storey, gabled vestry instead of a porch.  

 

The north elevation has three round-arched windows symmetrically placed. The north elevation has had numerous roof windows added, most of which are in the eastern half of the church. The south elevation of the church has four round-arched windows, again symmetrically placed. In the roof are pairs of windows and large set-back dormers with doors have been built into the roof too. They form a balcony or outdoor decking area. 


Description (interior)

The interior of the church has been completely gutted and re-built, with new plasterboard walls and ceilings. A second floor has been inserted where the galleries used to be and the nave has been divided into two separate dwellings with new rooms.


Events:

  • Church built (1846 to 1847)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6141
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 17468B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS site NO43SE 160
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 186698

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Hillock Church, 1843-1979Rev W Douglas Chisholm1979
The Parish of MonifiethJ Malcolm1910