St Peter's McCheyne Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 38740 29790, map


Address

328 Perth Road and Shepherd's Loan
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • McChyene memorial Church

Introduction

The church is situated at the Sinderins in Dundee, directly opposite the Blackness library on the corner of Perth Road and Shepherd's Loan.  It is a tight site on a major junction. The church was designed by Pilkinton and Bell and built in 1870.  It incorporates a church officer's house to the West  and halls and classroom accommodation at the South East of the building.  It was originally known as St Peter's McCheyne as the congregation of St Peter's (which began in Taylor's lane in 1836) joined with the McCheyne congregation to establish the new church.   

The architecture is Gothic built in ashlar with lighter stone detail.  There are pointed arched doorways in Perth Road (North facade) and in Shepherd's Loan (East) and there are large rose windows in both facades.  The roof is slate, and it and the spire surmounted by a cross are in good condition. When visited the church was closed and the building for sale.

Leona Elder 2011


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1870)
    People: Pilkington & Bell

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery 1558 - 1999Ian McCraw2000Published by Friends of Dundee City Archives