St Peter's Free Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39030 29760, map


Ryehill Lane / Perth Road

Also known as:

  • St Peter’s McCheyne United Presbyterian Church (1836-1982)


The church is situated between Hawkhill and Perth Road on  Ryehill Lane.  Directly in front of it on the South (Perth Road) side is a burial ground surrounded by a low wall surmounted by wrought iron fence.  It was designed by the Hean Brothers in 1836. 

The church was originally St Peter’s McCheyne  United Presbyterian Church but was sold to the Free Church in 1982.  It was extensively refurbished in 2010 and one of the pair of larger arched windows was furnished with new stained glass.  At the time of visiting (2011), the other window was still to be restored.  

Description (exterior)

It is a simple rectangular stone-built building with slate roofs and unadorned except for a square tower on the East side, surmounted by a stone spire with occuli.  The tower is pedimented and pilastered towards the top and has a clock on each side.  The nave has two rows of simple round-arch windows. 

Description (interior)

The interior is simple and contains a semi-circular gallery supported by wrought-iron pillars.  There are two tall arched windows in the West wall facing the gallery and a series of smaller plain arched windows in each side. 

People / Organisations:

Hean BrothersArchitects1836


  • Church: Build/construction (1836)
    People: Hean Brothers
  • Became a Free Church (1982)
  • Church refurbished (2010)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6148Leona Elder Archive
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO32NE 118:00
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 185130

Bibliographic References:

Historic Dundee: The archaeological implications of developmentS J Stevenson & E P D Torrie1988