St Francis Friary

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 38520 30860, map


Address

Tullideph Road
Dundee
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This 2-storey red-brick church lies north-south with its entrance door facing a through street between two main roads into Dundee city centre. A high wall encompasses the western garden ground. The northern edge is railed and continues past the 1958 building that is now the main church. There is a well-maintained courtyard and several domestic and ancillary buildings adjoined to the original friary that link the new and old together. As all buildings are constructed with red brick there is a unified look to the complex.  K. Nichols


Description

This monastic structure was built by Reginald Fairlie in 1933. The complex comprises various red brick buildings that were intended to surround Fairlie's proposed great Franciscan basilica, which was not built. With a pantile roof the hall has two designs of windows and a statue of St Francis. The upper level has traditional rectangular windows whereas the lower level windows are a rectangular shape with a blocked arch above. The gable of the main hall has a statue in the eaves space. The square extension houses the entrance hall. The ancillary buildings contain reminiscences of the Arts and Crafts domestic style. A nice feature for the site is the name of the friary engraved on the side gate. There is no other obvious name plaque for the site.

J. Dowling, K. Nichols


Events:

  • Friary: Build/construction (1933)
    People: Reginald Fairlie