Former Methodist Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39960 30340, map


Address

15-19 Ward Road
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This Gothic Revival building is located in a street that formerly contained many religious establishments. There is a private car park behind this building but it does not belong to the church. When last visited the building was in use as a cabaret bar, as is the smaller extension attached on the west side.

K. Nichols


Description

This Gothic town church was built in coursed rubble by David Mackenzie in 1866 for the Methodists and remains unchanged externally. It is accessed by two railed staircases that lead to the central platform and main, south facing, door. Painted white on the visible south and east elevations, it has bare stone on the other two elevations. The north wall has an external stair and entry porch to first floor level. Particular features worth noting include the coloured glass windows on the north wall, the window tracery and the pinnacled buttresses. The internal arrangement was substantially cleared in order to accommodate its present function.

J. Dowling, K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1866)