Bell Street Baptist Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40010 30470, map


Address

1a West Bell Street
Dundee
DD1 1ES
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Bell Street United Associate Church

Introduction

This former Baptist Church was located on the corner of Bell Street and Constitution Road. It replaced thatched cottages and opened for worship in May 1840 to seat 1,300. A hall was constructed in a sub-basement below and could hold up to 700 people. The church was demolished a number of years ago to make way for a new building designed by a James Black, which houses the Dundee Council Music Centre.

K. Nichols


Description (exterior)

On the 2 January 1863 the New Year entertainment ended in tragedy when parts of the entrance gate collapsed causing the crowd to fall down stairs. As a result of this, 19 people died.

K. Nichols


Description (interior)

The interior is shown in an image held by Dundee Reference Library. There was a gallery on either side of the church nave and a raised pulpit that had two sets of stairs. The font was octagonal and placed at the front pews. The organ was in the sanctuary space. Although slightly decorated, the church was not elaborate.


Events:

  • : Build/construction (1840)
  • : Closure (1863)