Longforgan Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 30930 29980, map


Address

Main St, Longforgan
Perth& Kinross
DD2 5
Scotland

Introduction

This parish church was built in 1908 by John Robertson, and it is dedicated to St Columba.    It replaced an earlier iron church, or Chapel of Ease.    Erected in 1886 to provide a place of worship conveniently close at hand for people who previously had a long walk to church.   A generous dontation towards the cost of the iron church had been made by Mrs. (later Lady) Armistead, who is recorded as also having generously supported the new St Columba's.


Description (exterior)

Longforgan Parish Church

This elegant rubble-built rectangular church was built upon the remains of a 15th century original. A tower from 1690 was also retained, and it was built symmetrically into the west gable. It is a well-built square structure, with a ballustrade and small spire protruding from the top. There is a small, round (stair?) tower on either side of the tower, joining onto the rectangular nave. The nave has four large, simple pointed arch windows, which flood the interior with light. The interior was substantially altered in 1900 by Alexander Hutcheson and features screens by Sir Robert Lorimer. There are 15th century and 1698 memorial slabs and outside a variety of 16th to 19th century gravestones. The ground floor of the tower (which also contains the entrance) was once used as the village jail. The western tower with spire contains two bells. They date from 1690 and 1889. The larger tenor bell is hung lower down at the same level as the clock so it strikes the bell on the hour. The clock was made in 1795, the same date the present church was built. Researched and written by J. Dowling, 15/10/04. Added to 24/11/04.

Burial ground

 

Nave

 

Tower

 

Stained Glass

 

Spire

Description (interior)


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1400)
    Feature: Tower
  • Church: Addition (1690)
  • Church: Build/construction (1794)
    Additional: Rebuilt
  • Church: Build/construction (1891)
    Feature: Chancel.
    People: A Hutcheson
  • Church: Addition (1899)