Fellowship of Christ

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 08780 87680, map


Address

Chalmers Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 8DG
Scotland

Also known as:

  • United Free Church of Scotland

Introduction

This small church building is located on a residential street a short distance north of Pittencrieff Park and Dunfermline Abbey and Palace. It was originally built in the grounds of a private villa, Woodhead Cottage (built in the 1830s), and was attached to this house at the western end. The church was built in 1936, a hundred years after the villa was constructed. Woodhead Cottage was demolished in the 1990s, leaving a blocked passage that connected the villa and church. The ground upon which it was built is now overgrown, and falls downhill to a stream below. The original denomination of the church is not clear, but it has been the Fellowship of Christ for several years.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The church has a cruciform plan, with hints of Art Deco styling. There is a flat-roofed entrance porch at the west end, small transept arms, an eastern sanctuary and a small session house and minister's room beyond. It has white-painted harled walls and slate roofs.

The west gable and porch is the principal elevation and faces the street. The porch has a slightly projected central doorway with sandstone ashlar jambs and header. A decorative parapet is suggested at the wallhead level by ashlar stonework. There are small rectangular windows in the faces of the porch. The west gable of the church has a single, round-arched window with leaded glass, above the porch.

The side elevations of the church feature tall rectangular windows, separated by slender buttresses. The nave of the church is of four bays and small transepts project from the building towards the east end. The transepts are gabled and feature a fairly large round-arch window in the centre. The wallhead of the side walls are of ashlar sandstone, which contrasts with the white-painted harling.

At the rear (east) of the church is a shallow, projected sanctuary with a hipped, slate roof. It has a single, large fanlight in the centre.  Attached is a small session house with additional rooms, which is built into the hillside, where the land drops steeply away. The remnants of a narrow walkway that connected the church to the private house can still be seen.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
United Free ChurchDenomination1936-NOW
Mr David BeveridgeArchitect1936

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1936)
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1990 uncertified)
    Demolition of Villa.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M002893
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet XXXVIII.8.51894 Dunfermline Town Map 1:500.
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet XXXVIII.8.51894 Dunfermline Town Map 1 : 500
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6199

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 187