Montrose Congregational Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 71600 57750, map


Baltic Street and Baltic Street
DD10 8HE


This large church complex was built in 1841 in a loose Grecian style, on the corner of Baltic Street and Museum Street near the centre of Montrose. The church building has fairly plain features, apart from a decorative Classical gable with finials. A pilastered porch was added to the main entrance in 1878 during renovation work carried out by Rev James Ross, in which the gallery was reseated and the interior re-painted. A large memorial hall was built to the rear of the church and opened in July 1895. Further renovation work was carried out in 1902. The church was latterly in use as Montrose United Reformed Church, but appears to have ceased to be used as such when visited in 2011 and is currently empty.


The 19th century building has sandstone ashlar walls and a slate roof. The main feature of the large corner building is the south-facing gable. It has a central porch with rectangular uprights and lintel and contains a simple double-leaf door. Above the porch, the central section of the gable is advanced slightly from the rest of the elevation. The apex of the gable has simple attached rectangular uprights that frame a small, round window. There are two massive carved stone pinnacles on either side of the apex. There are two stories with large but simple rectangular windows with simple round-headed tracery. The lower storey windows have stylised attic stone hoodmoulds. At the corners of the gable are more very large decorative finials.


The west face of the building, facing Baltic Street, has ashlar masonry and two rows of four rectangular case and sash windows. The wallhead is large and has a large overhang. This feature continues around the front gable and around the east wall. The rain water down pipes do not appear to be the originals. The east side of the building mirrors that of the west, but the stonework is of a poorer quality, coursed sandstone blocks, not the ashlar that features on the other walls. The rear of the building is attached to the memorial hall and the roof at this end is hipped and not gabled. The memorial hall has an ornate west-facing gable. The central section is recessed slightly and there are inscribed panels at first floor level and another inscription with surrounding moulding is contained within the pedimented gablehead. There are plain, rectangular windows in the gable, which are also present in the north and east elevations. A smaller, single-storey building connects the hall with the original church.



  • Church: Build/construction (1841)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6276
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 38196B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO75NW 345See also site NO75NW 344 for the church hall

Bibliographic References:

Yearbook of the Congregational Church1893p47