St Paul's Church, Perth

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 11530 23620, map


Address

S. Methven St/st Pauls Sq, Per
Perth
Scotland

Description

St Paul's Church, Perth

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Built in 1807 to the design of John Paterson, this church is an interesting example of a regular octagon, central plan church. It is a large Gothic octagon with pyramidal roof, central cupola and gallery all round. There are outshots to the east, south, west and north tower with gabletted belfry stage and diagonal pinnacles. The tower with spire houses a large bell, 1. 3m in diameter. It was made by Thomas Mears and Son of London in 1805 and has an 8 foot diameter wheel. The former Common Bell from St John's Church, cast in 1520 and recast in 1805 was transferred to this church in 1848. The stonework of the church is ashlar. The spacious interior has tall pointed windows and Gothic detailing. It could be the earliest example in Scotland of a hybrid gothic-classical church. It is now redundant and empty, and in a very bad state of repair with falling masonary a threat to public health. There is local pressure to see it demolished and continuous vandalism from 1993 onwards is a further threat to the building. The fabric has been damaged and interior furnishings destroyed and stolen. Written and researched by J. Dowling, 2003 and 5/4/2004. Added to 25/11/04.

Tower

Date: 1807


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1807)
    People: John Paterson