Our Lady of Lourdes

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 10830 86300, map


Address

67 Aberdour Road
Dunfermline
Fife
KY11 4QZ
Scotland

Introduction

This church was built in 1966 as a chapel of ease to accommodate the growing population living in this area of the town.   It is beside a main road in a tarmac precinct which  is fronted by stepped coped walls topped with iron railings.   Also in the precinct are a church hall and manse.


Description (exterior)

The walls of the building are harled, and the roof is of terracotta tiles.

On the north side, which is the main elevation there is a flat roofed concrete porch with a pair of recessed square headed doors set in its centre, reached by a flight of stone steps.    There are three bays, a central one is gabled and it is flanked by flat roofed side aisles.   In the central bay there is a three light square headed window with stained glass set above the height of the porch.   A metal cross is attached to the apex of the gable. The side aisles are divided into two stages; the upper stages feature single square headed windows.

In the eastern elevation there are three tripartite square headed windows  and four down pipes  along the face.

On the south side there is a projecting chancel with a brick work cross in the centre and  a tall tripartite rectangular window. To the eastern side of the face, there is a door with access ramp leading up to it.  To the western side of the face, is a flat roofed extension extending out past the aisle to the west. On the return to the west on the chancel at clerestory level there are three rectangular windows.

The western face mirrors the eastern.   At its southern end the advanced bay is set in the re-entrant angle formed by the chancel and side aisle.   There are windows on the northern face and a blocked door on the western face of this bay.


Description (interior)

Entry to this building is by doors from a porch on the north side of the complex, which lead to the vestibule.    In turn glass panelled dorrs lead into the church facing the sanctuary which is in an angled apse against the south wall.    Above the entrance door is a square headed tripartite stained glass window.    In the church there is a central aisle between rows of wooden pews facing the sanctuary, and to the east of the main block of pews a further block factes a smaller altar, and constitutes a lady chapel.

The sanctuary is framed by two round headed arches.   A simple altar stands in the centre on a dais reached by two shallow steps.   On the wall behind the altar is a painted reredos with a high shelf on which there is a tabernacle, above which is a simple wooden crucifix on the east wall.   A lectern, credence table, and chairs for officiants complete the sanctuary furnishings.    Doors on either side of the sanctuary arch lead to other parts of the complex.   The sanctuary is lit by a window on its north wall, and the main part of the church is lit by clear glass windows on the north and south walls, between which are plaques representing the Stations of the Cross.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Roman CatholicDenomination1966-NOW

Events:

  • Hall: Build/construction (1957 uncertified)
  • House: Build/construction (1957 uncertified)
  • Church: Build/construction (1966)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6639

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Dunfermline: The Post-War YearsMcEwan, B.2004p. 48