St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church, Glenrothes
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 28090 00460, map
Also known as:
- St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church
This church which opened for worship in 1958, is in the Woodside residential area of the new town of Glenrothes. It was constructed in 1956-7 by Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, and is now a Grade B Listed Building. The buildings are surrounded by a grass and tarmac precinct, and a low painted brick wall. There is a car park to the east.
The building is built of painted brick and the western elevation of the sanctuary is constructed of wood and coloured glass. The pitched areas of the roof are of slate, and the flat areas are of tar/felt. There is a hall to the south of the church, and offices and presbytery to the west of the sanctuary.
Because the building is built over different levels with the offices and presbytery on the lowest levels, the sanctuary is almost double their height, and the tower on the eastern elevation of the sanctuary is at the highest level. The tower has windows on its western elevation, and a cross at its top is offset to the south on the monopitch roof.
The vision of the designers of this church was to create a lectern-shaped building symbolic of the spreading of the Gospel. Entry to the nave is through a vestibule on the side of the complex through a glass screen. There is a central aisle facing the sanctuary which is at the east end. Congregational seating is on wooden bench-shaped pews.
The sanctuary is lit by overhead windows the light from which focuses on a stone altar. This is on a slightly raised dais. Behind it, on the east wall, is a large elaborately wrought crucifix with additional biblically based symbols worked on it, such as the nails, spear, the superscription INRI, and a pieta at its base. Below all of this is a tabernacle. South west of the altar is a lectern which also serves as a preaching station. South east of this is a further altar with a wrought iron Madonna and Child above it, and this also is embellished with biblically-based symbols. A bronze plaque depicting St Paul is on the east wall of the nave, to the north of the sanctuary apse. The south wall has central doors leading to further parts of the complex. Fourteen Stations of the Cross plaques are on the north wall, and a carved replica of an icon of Madonna and Child (the original being in Gdansk) is on the west wall.
People / Organisations:
- Church: Build/construction (1956 to 1957)
|Scran - Online database||Reference: 000-000-025-771-C||Image: John R. Hume|
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 6655|
|Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online database||View HS Listing Online: 10012|
|Catholic Directory of Scotland 1990||Catholic Directory of Sco||1990|
|Catholic Directory, St Andrews and Edinburgh||1999||p. 59|
|Buildings of Scotland: Fife||Gifford, J||1988||pp. 232-233|