Leslie Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 59780 24640, map


Address

Leslie
Aberdeenshire
AB52 6NT
Scotland

Introduction

Leslie Parish Church is located at the southern edge of the rural Aberdeenshire village of Leslie, on the south-east slope of Bin Hill. The rebuilt Leslie Castle stands a short distance to the north-east. Open farmland surrounds the village and church.

The current church here was built in the early 19th century but there have been numerous other churches on this site, the bellcote from one of which is re-used on the latest church. An early church here was granted to Lindores Abbey by Norman, son of Malcolm, between 1199-1207. The church is no longer in ecclesiastical use and was recently sold to a private buyer (2012). It is not clear what future use the church building will have. 


Description (exterior)

The church is rectangular on plan and is surrounded by a fairly large graveyard. It is aligned east-west and is a simple building. The church was built with large, coursed blocks of roughly-tooled granite. The roof is slated and has two metal vents on the ridge line.

 

The principle elevation, the west gable, is tall and fairly narrow. There is a central rectangular doorway, with a plain door and fanlight above. Flanking the door are two small rectangular windows with stained glass. Above, at gallery level, is a large rectangular window. Mounted on the apex is a large bellcote. It is ornate with moulded details, corbelled cornice and gableted finial. It is dated 1635 and has been re-used from an earlier church on the site. Attached to the gable is a simple, granite WW1 memorial. 

 

The south elevation is simple, with two large central windowss. They are rectangular with fairly large panes of glass. The eastern one has stained glass. The east gable has a blocked central doorway and there is a rectangular (almost square) window above with stained glass. A simple stone finial stands on the apex. The north wall is blank and featureless. 


Description (interior)

Most of the church interior fittings, including wooden pews, pulpit and west gallery have remained in place since the church closed, but it is now in private ownership and may well be changed significantly inside. 


Events:

  • Earlier church granted to Lindores Abbey (1199 to 1207)
  • Church built (1815)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M012804
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 676
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 9237B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ52SE 17
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 17687

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie, an illustrated architectural guideIan Shepherd2006p101
The Architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hayp243
Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notesA Jervise1875-9Vol. 2, p333
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the ReformationH Scott et al (eds.)1915-61Vol. 6, p170-3
The Kirkyard of Leslie, AberdeenS M Spiers1998