Cruden Congregational Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NK 09260 36250, map


Address

Main Street
Cruden Bay
Aberdeenshire
Scotland

Introduction

There is currently little information about this small church close to the Bay of Cruden and the village's small harbour. It stands on the corner of two roads, just off Main Street, and stands within very small grounds, not much larger than the building itself. Surrounding the church are fishing cottages and later housing, along with a small school to the north. The church appears to be closed and no longer in ecclesiastical use, but it remains in good condition.


Description

The church is a small, simple rectanguglar building with a corner bellcote. It was built using pink granite blocks and has a slate roof. The principle south gable has good quality tooled stones with small joints, while the sides and rear are built in a slightly lower quality stone. 

 

The south gable has a central round-arched doorway with a recessed wooden door and fanlight. On either side of the doorway is a tall and narrow round-arched window with large panes of frosted glass. In the gablehead is a quatrefoil panel, possibly a datestone (although no date or other lettering is visible), and there is a small stone finial on the apex. On the south-west corner of the gable is a tall, gabled bellcote with a small opening in which hangs a bell. 

 

The side elevations of the church (east and west) each have four equally-spaced round-arched windows, again with clear frosted glass. The rear gable is blank apart from a chimney on the apex. Attached to the gable is a single story vestry with a side door and chimney. 


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1884)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6779