Our Lady of Sorrows, Fintry, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 42340 33340, map


Address

Finlarig Terrace
Fintry
Dundee
DD4 9JF
Scotland

Introduction

This large modern Roman Catholic Church is located on the corner of Finlaggan Crescent and Finlarig terrace in the North of Dundee. The grounds include a small detached priest’s house to the East of the main church. The grounds slope down to the south and are mainly laid to grass. There is also a commemorative foundation stone located in the North gable, laid by the Bishop of Dunkeld in 1955.


Description

The main body of the church is long and tall, lying north to south. Its walls are finished with off pink harling with a red brick base course. All the windows (except for those on the north gable) are single pane lights with metal frames and astragals set onto concrete cills. The roof of the main building is set in natural slate tiles and has lead flashing, with several roof lights.

The main entrance to the church is located in the north gable, with three steps leading up to it; a large decorative double timber door is situated in the centre of the gable enclosed within a decorative stone surround. These include two, five pointed stars either side of the door. Above this are the initials “MS” standing for “Sancta Maria”. Above the door is a large Georgian style window with round arches separated by stone mullions. Above this is a large arch with a red brick infill and a stone cross at the top of the north gable.

On the south west corner there is an eight sided, red brick extension; a small ramped access on its north side and windows with timber shutters in the other seven sides. The roof for the extension is a flat felt roof with lead flashings.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
WilliamBishop of Dunkeld1955Laid foundation stone in north gable wall

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1956)