St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church, Montrose

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 71550 58090, map


Address

23 Market Street
Montrose
Angus
DD10 8NB
Scotland

Introduction

St Margaret's Roman Catholic Church was built by Robert Keith in 1886. The Gothic-style building is contained within walled grounds and there is a modern hall attached to the rear. It was built with different sized red sandstone blocks, roughly coursed, with ashlar surrounds and corner stones (quoins). The double-pitch roof is clad in slates.


Description (exterior)

The west gable of the church faces Market Street. It has three central pointed-arch (lancet) windows, the central one of which is taller. On top of the apex is a tall gabled bellcote with a stone cross finial mounted on top. There are decorative, gabletted skew-ends and small corner buttresses.

 

The north elevation has a small gabled entrance porch towards the west end with a pointed-arch doorway. The roof is slated and there are decorative red ridge tiles. Three lancet windows are equally spaced along the north elevation. There is a modern hall at the east end, which has harled and timber-clad walls.

 

The south elevation overlooks a garden area with mature shrubs and trees. There are three lancet windows and at the east end is the two storey Priest's house, built in the same materials as the church, which it is attached to.

 

The east elevation of the church has a gabled chancel, which is narrower than the nave. There are three small lancet windows equally spaced in the chancel's gable. The modern hall is located to the north-east.


Description (interior)

The interior consists of an entrance vestibule area, small nave, chancel and a gallery above the west end. The walls are plastered and painted a cream colour, while the ceiling is painted sky blue. The simple wooden beamed roof structure is stained dark brown and is on display, supported on stone corbels.

The undecorated wooden pews face the chancel to the east. The raised chancel has a simple wooden altar and central pulpit, framed by the windows behind. Niches flanking the chancel have painted figures of Christ and the Virgin Mary. The church's font was made by David Lamb. There is a painting of St Margaret to celebrate her 900th anniversary, painted in 1993.

 

There are numerous framed paintings depicting Biblical scenes mounted on the walls around the nave. The lancet windows have simple stained glass.

JD


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Robert KeithArchitect1886

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1886)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 6892
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 46217B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO75NW 336