St Mary's Church, Old Kinnernie, Midmar

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 72530 09570, map


Address

Old Kinnernie, Midmar
Aberdeenshire
AB32 7EA
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Midmar Old Church
  • Old Kinnernie Church
  • Church of Kinerny

Introduction

The ruined church of Old Kinnernie, known as St Mary's, stands in open countryside a short distance north-west of Echt. There are a number of farm cottages around the church graveyard and this collection of buildings is called Old Kinnernie. The church ruins are aligned east-west and surrounded by a small graveyard. 

The church was dedicated to St Mary and granted to the Abbey of Arbroath by Thomas de Lundyn in the early 13th century. The church was confirmed by Pope Alexander III in 1257. The parish of Kinairnie was united with Midmar in 1740, leading to the demolition of Kinairnie Church. The bell from the church, dated 1642, was transferred to Midmar Parish Church in 1788. 


Description

All that remains of the church today are the foundation courses of masonry, upto around 0.5m in height. These show that the church was rubble built using mostly granite stone and was rectangular on plan. There is an entrance in the north wall today, although it is not clear if this was the original entrance to the church or a later removal of stonework. There are two stone and metal mort safes rer-positioned along the west gable remains. 

 

There are numerous gravestones aligned east-west around the church ruins, the oldest of which appear to be closest to the church and to the south. There is a boundary wall around the graveyard and a walled driveway up to the entrance gate at the west end of the site. 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Thomas de LundenGranted church to Arbroath Abbey1204-1211
Pope Alexander IIIConfirmed the church1257

Events:

  • Church abandoned (1740)
  • Church founded (c1200)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 709
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 16272C(S)-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ70NW 12
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 18526

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie, an illustrated architectural guideIan Shepherd2006p157
The Parishes of Medieval Scotland, Scottish Record Society Vol 93I B Cowan1967p111
Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notesA Jervise1875-9Vol. 2, p85-6
The Object Name Book of the Ordnance SurveyOrdnance Survey1860sBook 62, p9
The Church and Other Bells of Aberdeenshire, Proceeding of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 91F C Eeles and R W M Clouston1960p94