St Fittick's Church, Nigg

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 96270 04950, map


St Fitticks Road
AB11 8TP

Also known as:

  • Nigg Old Church


St Fittick's (or St Fiacre) Church was the local parish church until a new building was constructed in the 1820s. St Fittick's is located in what is now open public parkland near to a 20th century housing estate. The church lies close to the coast, and an associated holy well was lost to coastal erosion some time ago. St Fittick's is surrounded by a small graveyard with tall boundary walls, which includes a small watch house. In 2004 an archaeological excavation discovered the foundations of the manse and associated farm building to the west of the church. 

The church was consecrated by Bishop David de bernham in 1242 and the remains that survive today encorporate fragments of this early church and later 17th and 18th century rebuilding.


The church is a small, rectangular building, aligned east-west. The east gable survives to full height but the west gable has been reduced to the height of the side walls. The church was built in granite rubble with ashlar window surrounds and bellcote. The walls were repaired in the mid 20th century, which included rebuilding the walls to wallhead height and rendering them with cement harling. The rectangular windows on the south wall have been blocked and harled too. The simple rectangular bellcote survives on the east gable, which was built using tooled granite blocks. 

People / Organisations:

Bishop de BernhamConsecrated church1242


  • Church founded (1242)
  • Bellcote added (1704)
  • Church abandoned (1829)
  • Remains consolidated and harled (20th century)
  • Church rebuilt (c1700)

Archive References:

Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 19955B-listed
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 729
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ90SE 1
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 20234

Bibliographic References:

The Architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hay1957p168 & 236