Kirkton of Oyne Old Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 68140 25750, map


Address

Kirkton of Oyne
Aberdeenshire
AB52 6QU
Scotland

Introduction

This is the site of the old parish church of Oyne, likely medieval in date. It was also known as St Ninian's Chapel and it went out of use at the end of the 18th or beginning of the 19th century (likely when the new parish church was built nearby in 1807 - see separate site 'Harthill Church'). The remains of the church walls were completely removed in 1870 and the stones were used to rebuild and enlarge the graveyard walls. The likely site of the church is a raised rectangular mound or platform in the north-east section of the current graveyard. No surface remains survive. The surrounding graveyard is rectangular and has mainly 19th century stones, although there are a number of 18th century ones. 


Events:

  • Remains of church demolished (1870)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 748
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ62NE 9
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 18127

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Object Name Book of the Ordnance SurveyOrdnance Survey1860sBook 70, p33
The Architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hay1957p244